Southern Cross Country League – New Venue
Alton Runners would like to welcome you all to the 5th round of the Southern Cross Country League, which will take place in Chawton House, Chawton, near Alton on Sunday 20th January. This will be the first time at this venue.
The headquarters for the race is situated at the Barn, Chawton House, which is approx a mile south west of Alton off the A31. The address is Chawton House, Chawton, Alton, Hampshire, GU34 1SJ.
From Winchester\Farnham follow the A31 towards Alton and when you come to the roundabout junction with the A32 take the exit for Chawton Village and follow the brown signs for Chawton House.
From the A3 take the B3006 and go through Selborne and as you get towards Alton take the left turn to Chawton Village which is opposite the junction with the A31 (Southbound). Follow the road into the village and then follow the brown signs to Chawton House.
To enable everyone to enjoy the day, please ensure that all competitors have noted the following:
• The race start will be within Chawton House estate. There is a short walk from the race HQ.
• The race starts at 11am.
• Please DO NOT leave baggage at the start as the race finishes at the Barn. Bags can be stored in the Barn at the owner’s risk.
• There will be a designated area for tents and flags near to the Barn.
• The 5 mile course follows a variety of undulating tracks, paths and trails around the estate.
• There is one small section of road which leads to some houses on the estate. Traffic movement will be controlled along that section.
• The grounds are mostly closed to the public, however there is one public footpath that the course crosses a couple of times and there is a chance that you may encounter walkers. Please look out for these and observe common courtesy when passing them.
• Please obey any and all requests by race marshals as you progress around the course.
• Look out for and follow the arrow signs and red and white strip tape along the route.
• Look out for tree roots on the course and low-hanging branches on either side of the paths.
• The course is not suitable for spikes. ‘Trail’ or ‘off-road’ shoes are recommended.
• Runners take part at their own risk.
• The finish to the race will be close to the Barn.
• There is one large car park on the estate, where there will be a charge of £2 per car, which will go to the Trustees of Chawton House. Please follow the marshal’s instructions when parking.
• Please do not park on the road leading up to the house or anywhere else in the Chawton Village.
• There will be signage out for the car park on A31 and the B3006.
• There will be refreshments of sandwiches, rolls, cakes, tea and coffee available for the fee of £2.00 at the barn.
• There will be tea and coffee available before the race at 50p per cup.
• To help to reduce the use of plastics please bring along a mug for your tea and coffee. We will have some spares just in case!
TOILETS AND CHANGING
• There are no changing rooms available.
• There will be 6 portaloos and 1 men’s urinal unit.
COMPETITORS NOTES AND RULES
• Please ensure that all runners wear their club vests. Runners not wearing club vests will be pulled out of the race.
• Please observe the time-limits – No men who have run faster than 5.30min/mile over a measured race of 5 miles or longer in the twelve months prior to the start of this season. – No women who run faster than 6.00min/mile over a measured race of 5 miles or longer in the twelve months prior to the start of this season.
Finally, we look forward to seeing you all on Sunday 20th January 2019 and we hope that everyone who attends enjoys the day, has a good race and some fun too!